Re: [GNUnet-developers] DistribNet and GNUNet

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] DistribNet and GNUNet
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 09:04:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Christian Grothoff wrote:

> You are already looking at Chord (Mircosoft research), just be aware of the
> drawbacks:
> * forced content migration

Yes this is a disadvantage.  However, I plan to separate queries for where
the information is from queries to retrieve the information.  Thus a lot
less information will have be migrated.

> * hosts fully exposed

By this do you mean that everyone knows what content the hosts has?

BTW:

I also looked at Pastry (the one truly being partly sponsored by
Microsoft research) and what I have determined is that in order to be able
to find information in log(N) all that needs to be done is
  1) Force content (in my case simple pointers to where the information
       really is) to be on nodes with numerically close ids.
  2) Use some sort of clever routing to always guarantee that each
       hop leads to a node with a numerically closer id.

---
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org