Re: [GNUnet-developers] Updatability

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Updatability
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 02:05:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Christian Grothoff wrote:

> On Tuesday 07 May 2002 03:55 pm, you wrote:
> > On Tue, 7 May 2002, David Findlay wrote:
> > > Also
> > > the ability to create a "directory" of files that only the author can
> > > change or add to is a necessity.
> >
> > This is fairly easy to do.  Basically for each "file" in the directory:
> >
> > p = public key
> > h(x) = secure hash function
> > f = "file" name.
> >
> > Key Name: hash(p + f) or hash(hash(p) + hash(f)) as freenet does but
> >                                                  I'm not why.
> > Key data: signature of the key name
> >           actual data
>
> Directories *are* easy, doing updatability right is MUCH harder [I don't have
> a good solution for that yet, so I'm not going to elaborate. If you think you
> have one, consider how it works if adversaries try to use it to remove
> content,

If using private directories than only the owner of the private key can
remove content.  Updatability does not equal the ability to remove
content.  On my network I plan on allowing content to be updated, but not
replaced or removed.  That is when someone updates a document old versions
will still be around and will only expire from disuse.

> how you authenticate the update to all servers,

Not sure exactly what you mean.

> how you find all the
> servers, how you deal with servers that were offline when the update arrived,

A good solution will have be a combination of push and pull.  That is
nodes from time to time will check for updates to a document instead of
just waiting for one to get delivered to its front door.

---
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org