Re: [GNUnet-developers] Re: [bug-GNUnet] gnunetd and netstat

From: Blake Matheny
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Re: [bug-GNUnet] gnunetd and netstat
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 09:17:49 -0500

We use LINUX because GNU libc (headers) already defines __linux__,
linux, and __linux. If we choose to use one of these, we can't
DEFINE it via autoconf/autoheader because we get a warning like:

foo.c:n: warning: `linux' redefined
*Initialization*:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition

Yes, warnings scare people and we would get 'bug' reports.
Since someone could potentially compile GNUnet with a non-gnu
compiler, we can't rely on __linux__/linux/__linux already being
defined and therefor /must/ define the OS. While we could do some
cpp tricks to figure out what the compiler type is, it's easier
just to use LINUX. The problem you were referring to came about
because autogen.sh wasn't run (and therefor autoheader wasn't
run), but in any case a #define LINUX 1 would be the necessary
fix.

-Blake

Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Willis?