[GNUnet-developers] Re: [Help-gnunet] Content, anyone?

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] Re: [Help-gnunet] Content, anyone?
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 17:26:05 -0500

On Wednesday 12 June 2002 03:40 am, you wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> with every version, GNUnet seems a little better. Sadly,
> its hard to find anything from the network and evaluate how
> well it performs. I've seen this problem reported on
> the mailing list before, and personally I haven't been
> able to retrieve much else than GPL (occasionally) from
> the network.

Well, I've found strange music and a jpg searching for 'mp3' recently, so
there is definitely some content. Currently, we seem to have about 5 hosts
running on average. We'll definitely need some more hosts in order to get
decent search results, too :-)

> At this early phase, I propose the following: please,
> everyone running a node, spend a minute and locate from
> the internet some public domain material. Anything. Insert
> it with keyword "test" and a free form description. Once
> files not inserted by ourselves can be seen, the system
> will start rolling, supposing that some bug doesn't prevent it. ;)

Well, bugs can be fixed - at least in GPL code :-)

> I think gnunet just needs some seeds. Nobody wants to
> be the first I guess. Void is a terrible thing.
>
> If I'm imagining this problem and it doesn't really exist,
> prove me wrong. Give a list of keywords that should point to
> something. ;)
>
> Perhaps it would be a good idea to give a keyword list
> of some harmless keys (not just GPL) on the gnunet homepage
> and make sure that those files are available (a script could do that).
> It would mean little extra work to the developers, but would be
> worth it to the occasional passersby, at least during this
> beta phase.

You could also just create 'directories'. Insert a couple of files and post
the results of 'gnunet-search' (hash, length, crc, description) in a
'directory' file. I would suggest to use 'directory' as the keyword for these
index-files for now. This way, we can use GNUnet itself instead of a webpage
as the indexing service.

And I'm sure, there'll be some code to create directories automatically at
some point. Any volunteers? :-)