[GNUnet-developers] namespace

From: Glenn McGrath
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] namespace
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 13:20:03 +1000

I think its important that a namespace be supported by GNUnet.

Searching does provided a way to locate documents, however isnt
satisfactory for dynamic content.

e.g. One of my goals is to distribute debian metadata via GNUnet, i would
like to create a signed index file that defines the packages available for
a particular release. This index file would have a list of hash values for
each packages metadata.

Users could search for this index file, but they have no way of knowing if
the search result refers to the current index file, or an old index file.

Web pages might be another example, im sure tis something that will come
up again and again.

A namespace could be formated something like urn:gnunet:<host-id>:<path>
the path would be controlled by whoever controls the host-id.

This urn could simply point to a gnunet hash which can be handled like
normal gnunet content, when content changes the owner of the urn just
changes the hash that the namespace points to and inserts the updated
content like normal.

Glenn