[GNUnet-developers] Re: What's next (was: Fwd: Asymmetric load patch)

From: Igor Wronsky
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] Re: What's next (was: Fwd: Asymmetric load patch)
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 02:21:39 +0300 (EEST)

On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Christian Grothoff wrote:

> > #NOISE     received:     39470k send:    107306k
> > #octets    received:     61633k send:    143987k
> What can be done?

Glenn suggested multiple packet sizes. Here's another similar
idea. Sometime ago I asked in some private mail if gnunet
could push content around. Currently its just pulling. I don't
think the economics part of that ever got justified, but anyway
here's another chance for pushing.

When padding with noise, pad with content instead. That is,
for each node in routing table, create incoming and outgoing
scratch buffers. When padding and scratch is empty, read some
content block to scratch. Pad outgoing packet with
START flag, block hash, index in scratch and as much content as
fits. On next packet, use CONT flag and pad with content and
scratch index. For last piece, use END flag. The target node
fills its own scratch as the pieces arrive (as different
paddings) and when complete, verifies hash and stores it
to disk if it decides to do so. Clear scratch on both ends.

What content to pad? What to store? Perhaps high priority content
and/or content close to destination could be sent. Perhaps
content could be stored atleast with low priority when there's
free space.

This scheme would atleast help integrating new (empty)
activemigrative nodes to the network and instead of noise,
transmit something that might be useful.

Just a quick sleepyhead thought.

I.