Re: [GNUnet-developers] Insertion speed

From: Igor Wronsky
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Insertion speed
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 20:12:07 +0300 (EEST)

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Niklas Höglund wrote:

> I've experimented a bit with the insertion speed.  I did a benchmark
> using different storage methods and file systems to see if I could get
> gnunet to insert files faster.

How about the 3 files with names "database.?". Whats their
part in all this? The actual storage scheme doesn't affect
how they are handled... hmm, random accessing lots of very
small blocks might be hard for anything using disk media.

Lets see. You want to access block A. First A is looked up
from database.1 (and 2 and 3 if not found). Then we
retrieve it from gdbm/tdbm/etc. This might mean moving the disk
head even over 4 times around. There is no reason why these
reads should be near each other on the disk. Process lots of
blocks. Enter lots disk trashing. And remember, boys and
girls, moving that head is quite expensive.

Do we really need to do it this way?

btw, sometimes gnunetd takes a lots of time to start. also
gnunet-stats, after running gnunetd for long, might take ages
to produce results. They too seem to be spending their time
on disk activity. These issues might have a connection.