[GNUnet-developers] Re: [Help-gnunet] Two suggested features

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] Re: [Help-gnunet] Two suggested features
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 15:47:38 -0500

On Sunday 11 August 2002 04:23 am, Christian Muellner wrote:
> 1. Collectionfiles
> I was thinking about if it's better to insert single, loose ogg files of my
> cd albums or make one big bzip2 out of each.

The on-demand encoding (where gnunetd encodes the files from the plaintext
version on the harddrive) will only work for loose ogg files, thus loose
files would generally be better if you don't want to have the additional
storage requirements for the bzip2 file.

> The best idea would be a collection file like eDonkey has. So you can see
> what files are belong together. All at the same bitrate/quality is
> importent for me. And with a collectionfile you don't have to download a
> whole archive.

This has been discussed in several versions on gnunet-developers before,
but we haven't implemented anything yet.

> You have a directory of a cd-album.
> Now you say gnunet-insert-multi to insert the files to gnunet plus a new
> created collection file from this files. In addition it write, before
> insertion, a new tag to each file, like a second description, which
> collection (or cd-album) it belongs.
> A "name" option for the gnunet-insert-multi would be good to name you
> collection (the string it writes to each inserted file as "collection"-tag)
> e.g. 'Hans Wurscht - Zum Fruestueck schon Bratwurst [ogg, quality6] by
> oggy'
>
> In the collection file there is all you need to download a file (CRC, Size,
> Name, Bitrate??, Videocodec??, etc etc) in future you can add a like to
> your website to automatical download a file from gnunet [browser-plugin?].

Bitrate and Videocodec are features that we would first have to add to the
libextractor plugins (mp3, real, ogg). And we don't have a libextractor plugin
for avi at the moment.

> Additional more Tags in all files to insert, like Codec, Bitrate, etc.
>
> 2. Downloading from multiple hosts
> I think all files are downloaded linear or I am wrong? Why not downloading
> it from multiple hosts, so you can have bundled downloadspeed.

We are downloading from all hosts that have the file and it's not linear at
all (random order). It's slow for other reasons...

> Tell me what you think
>
> Chris
>
> PS: Should I write only in Mantis for features or only in the mailinglist?
> Or both? :-)

Mantis is fine for small features and real bugs, this one would have fit
better on the gnunet-developers mailinglist. help-gnunet is more for actual
problems with *exisiting* code that users have and less for discussions of
features for future versions.

Christian