Re: [GNUnet-developers] update mechanism

From: Martin Uecker
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] update mechanism
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 19:26:47 +0200

On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 06:40:29PM +0300, Igor Wronsky wrote:

[...]

> Also, have you considered spam prevention?

I am almost dreaming of spam prevention ;-)

I have just written some shell scripts to spam-tag my mail
based on ideas from Paul Graham.

[...]

> The problem with a spammable message system is that
> it can bring about lots of worthless traffic to the network:
> not directly because of the people who flood, but because
> of the people who keep requesting the spam, in the hope
> that there is one real message somewhere along them.

Right. Gnunet definitely needs working spam protection.
Existing file sharing networks are spammed too. People are
now using them with externally provided SHA-1 keys.

Every big public system with search capabilities (file
sharing networks, usenet and www search engines) and
all open messaging services (email, icu, sms) get spammed.

IMHO the solution to the spam problem are trust metrics.
This basically solved the problem on the web (google, page rank).

Martin