Re: [GNUnet-developers] Java (was Freenet 0.5)

From: Brett Wooldridge
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Java (was Freenet 0.5)
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 17:35:06 -0600

First, thanks for the reply.

Blake Matheny wrote:

The FSF would _prefer_ that an
application is written in a non-proprietary language, but it isn't required.
When GNU Java, or another GPL friendly Java interpreter is ready, I'm sure
that the FSF will warm up to the idea.

Well, the FSF would _prefer_ that people run on non-proprietary operating systems, as well. I doubt
FSF will every warm-up to Java, C#, Windows, or Mac.

If GNUnet is going to succeed, we can't be stuck waiting for GNU Java or Sun to
port to new systems.

Don't get me wrong, but if _that's_ really the goal -- a large number of GNUnet nodes and clients -- then a Windows specific solution, ala Kazaa, would be the way to go. Unbelievable as it might seem, Microsoft has the lion share of operating system installs. Personally, I run Linux _and_ Windows. But I know that if GNUnet is going to succeed, it needs an installed base comparable to Kazaa. And having said that, IMHO, the best cross-platform GUI applications I've seen have been written in Java.

Finally, people know C. If you take some time and compare the number of open
source projects written in Java vs. C/C++, you will see that C/C++ has a
significant lead over Java. C has been around for decades and as a result
there are many many people who are proficient in the language. Choosing a
language that lots of people know is a good way to get volunteers.

There are extensive studies by Evans Data Corp. (including the Linux Developer Survey) that basically sum up as follows: 1) There are more programmers who currently identify themselves as Java programmers than C/C++ programmers, and 2) C/C++ is more popular than Java among Unix developers.

The fact is, the vast majority of open source projects have been started by developers from the Un*x school. Possibly due to their history and background of open source. However, that does not mean that C/C++ should be the default and is the appropriate language for any given project.

The fact is, as much as I love Linux (for example), Linux isn't "popular". Not if you count users. Not even close. It couldn't be more UN-popular if it tried. Let's get realistic. What are the goals of GNUnet? I thought they were to build the most widely used, censorship-resistant, anonymous data exchange backbone possible. If that's the goal, the more cross-platform the better. If we can write it once and run it on Windows, Mac, and Linux (sorry about you're BSD there, but it's a secondary platform target), then that's what the project should do. No politics, just efficiency. Period.

-brett