Re: [GNUnet-developers] Java (was Freenet 0.5)

From: LCID Fire
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Java (was Freenet 0.5)
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 10:27:42 +0100

There are a lot of goals for GNUnet, but you seem to imply that winning
the popularity contest should be prime among them. Right now, in an
incomplete system, if we have a windows port and are still in the midst of
serious development where each new release breaks compatibility with the
last, Windows users won't use it anyway. Right now, frankly, having a
huge, uninformed user base who had to keep reinserting content every few
weeks would only piss people off and drive them away, and this would
happen whether we were developed in Java, C#, Scheme, COBOL, or PA-RISC
assembler.
Sorry guys, but somehow I seem to miss the point. I'm a great fan of java. Also currently I do most of the development in C++ (because of performance advantages). And lately I have to do some c# in work too (besides C one of the few languages that makes me pucke). I don't assume that anybody wants to develop the core in anything other than c++ (ok, delphi maybe). Sure java is not that slow but I think doing a app like gnunet it's largely necessary that it runs on older systems and so that there is an optimal use of ressources. So I think java is out of the game for that. Otherwise I personally think java is a great language to make gui interfaces. I think if gnunet gets popular people would like to connect to the core through websites (php) or from other computers and so soon alternative guis will be developed. So you could just make some interfaces (e.g. java native interface) that communicate with the core and this way everybody can built it's own gui...
But maybe you're right - let's stop this religious bitching ;)

LCID Fire