Re: [GNUnet-developers] RE: gnunet_java_gui-1.00.tar.gz

From: Brett Wooldridge
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] RE: gnunet_java_gui-1.00.tar.gz
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 09:40:01 -0600

Jan Marco Alkema wrote:

Why do you need a decompiler? Where are the sources?

Java can be easy decompiled to sources. CMG has done it in a way that all
the sources come back. If they had done it on the hard way they translated
variables to no-meaning information. For example Row_Counter to a00323339.
What is the license of Cdfoon?

I don’t think CMG is happy I (we) use the source code of them. If you do a
lot of improvement rounds on the code it will not look on the initial source
code of CMG.

Note: CMG has used a zip/upzip routine for the data of a German developer
without letting hem known. I mine opinion "everyone excepts ..." uses code
from someone else.
Jan et al, this is *definitely* a "bad idea". One should *never* *ever* use code without permission (it's stealing). I don't care how easy it would be to create a GNUnet client based on cdfoon's code, writing a Java GUI from scratch is such a *trivial* task that doing so is the obvious way to go.

While I can't claim to speak for the GNUnet project, or maybe I can in as much as it's Open Source, I am requesting that you stop work on reverse-engineering CMG's code and focus your efforts on either 1) creating a Java UI from scratch, or 2) creating a good JNI glue layer between GNUnet and
Java such that writing such a client in the future will be made simpler.

Thanks,
brett