Re: [GNUnet-developers] Other way to updateable content

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Other way to updateable content
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 17:59:55 -0500

Let me think aloud here. The 'if the secret key of the author is leaked, bad
people can censor the content by putting in bad information instead' is true
but not really a concern, we should really be able to assert that the secret
key is never exposed. So as long as the serial number is part of the
cryptographically signed part of the block, it can not be tampered with.

A more major problem with these 'arbitrary' updates is that how would a peer
know that he actually got "the latest" version from the network? If I get
version 4, how can I be sure that there is no version 235252 out there? How
do you ensure that malicious peers actually do the update and do not keep old
versions around and forward those? The existing proposal gives you the
guarantee that you get any one version of the content and can from there
compute (!) the version that will be the latest at any given time in the
future, and nobody can cheat.

Thus the existing proposal is much better for periodically updated content. It
may be worse of irregularly updated content with "weak" security requirements
because it forces the author to re-publish an update in every period to keep
the content available at all times and it is impossible to publish updates at
points in time where no update is scheduled.

But why could we not have both? One mechanism where the updates are
periodically and deterministic and where it is clear which version is the
current one (and where, btw, previous revisions are also always accessible)
and another where there is an 'overwrite old' mechanism that allows the
author to replace old blocks with new blocks but which has weaker consistency
guarantees (the update may not propagate everywhere, users may get an
out-of-date version even if a more recent version is available on the
network).

Sounds reasonable?

Christian