Re: [GNUnet-developers] Patch: initialize variables (pedanticdefensive p

From: january
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Patch: initialize variables (pedanticdefensive programming
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 17:19:09 -0800

Well, I'm used to C++ compilers that DO NOT warn you if you use
a variable before it is initialized (hence the patch)... and hunting
down the resultant bugs is horrendous, since in debug mode, the
compiled code often initializes your variables for you to zero, but
in "release" or non-debug mode, they don't.  Nasty.  If the target
compiler for the project does the static analysis (like the java
compiler) great, then there's no reason for the patch.  BUT, I'm not
sure if it's even possible for compilers to warn you of accessing
uninitialized variables of global or file static scope.

In the end, it's up to you to apply the patch, or not.  :)

Ps: I've tried and failed repeatedly to create a mantis account.
    If someone could set something up for me... even an anonymous
    read only account, I'd be able to see the bugs...

> Hi!
>
> This is not such a great idea since the compiler would no longer warn you if
> you use a variable before initializing it (all variables would be considered
> initialized). Uninitialized use can be statically checked and thus should not
> be made explicit like this.
>
> Just my 2 cents...
>
> Christian

Big $$$ to be made with the HushMail Affiliate Program: