Re: [GNUnet-developers] Replacing lookup

From: Krista Bennett
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Replacing lookup
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 00:43:12 -0500

Christian Grothoff hath spoken thusly on Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 12:28:26AM -0500:
> Anyway, I should probably let the people doing the Windows port decide what
> is
> the best DB for them. But moving the API boundary / doing the proposed
> interface change should not be a problem -- if nothing else, the current code
> could still be adapted to be used by users that can't install MySQL.

Well, I'm not the only one looking at the Windows stuff these days, but...
I'll chime in tentatively anyway.

I have no problem with the interface change; Tracy may be right about the
windows stuff, I really don't know. The one time I installed MySQL for
Windows I ended up uninstalling it almost immediately for reasons that
escape me now, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be used. I assume someone
else here has more experience with that end of things than I do; after
all, just because something exists for windows doesn't mean it's easily
useable (nor does it mean it isn't! I'm not suggesting either. :).

If the interface is made standard for *any* database we might use, it'd be
a whole lot easier when we have to see what exactly *would* work best for
Windows (or anything else for that matter), whether that's MySQL or
BobsGreatDatabaseAndPizzaFactory. I think Igor's suggested refactoring
sounds like a good idea in any event.

I don't care what you guys do with the interface, but I think *requiring*
people to use MySQL might be annoying. I have to fight enough with
libextractor "suggestions" right now when I try to run GNUnet on Linux
that if I were a stupid user (which I may well be :), I'd give up before I
got started. Adding more annoying required stuff would be bad if it were
unneeded.

Making it possible for people who want any sort of performance to use a
better scheme, on the other hand, doesn't seem to me to be a bad thing at
all.

Enough blather from me :) As usual, I talk a lot, but don't say much :)

Here ends my .0003493126 cents worth...

- K

Krista Bennett                               address@hidden
Graduate Student
Interdepartmental Program in Linguistics
Purdue University

         If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit.
             There's no use being a damn fool about it.
                           -- W.C. Fields