RE: [GNUnet-developers] insert - delete tests

From: Jan Marco Alkema
Subject: RE: [GNUnet-developers] insert - delete tests
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 17:23:38 -0700

Hello Eric, Christian,

>That's not a GNUnet problem, but a database problem in general. As far as I
know, even the big databases (Oracle, for example) just mark the content as
deleted, the content itself is not discarded and therefore the database
doesn't shrink.

I think this is true, but at night I have seen an "update database process"
in MySQL.

>Note that you can use gnunet-convert to achieve this (you must change the
quota a bit to run gnunet-convert; increasing the DISKQUOTA by 1 will do).

>To release the space, you have to unload/dump the database to a file and
import it again.

I don't think this is a good solution. Normally you reorganize a database in
the night hours or in the weekend's. I know that database reorganizations
cost a lot of performance, thats why they do it often not in the "working
hours" (9 till 17 hour).

See also http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/OPTIMIZE_TABLE.html for the details,

Greetings Jan Marco