Re: [GNUnet-developers] Found a related project

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Found a related project
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 07:07:43 -0500

>   The design of GNUnet always impresses me. (The *one* thing that
> I suspect may be a flaw is that AFAIK requests for things must have
> a TTL set, so presumably, even if it is made random, there will be
> times when the first node it reaches would be able to tell that it
> is a new request (not forwarded). Is this true, anyone?)

Ok, this question warrants an answer :-). The initial TTL is randomized, so a
peer may start with 5, 15, 7 or 42. The peer will pick a higher number if the
TTL was not large enough, but again, how much higher is again randomzied. A
similar problem applies for the "smallest" TTL. Suppose a peer sends a very
small TTL to another peer (say -3 [!!! negative values are OK!]). Well, its
not very likely that the other peer will actually process this message (after
all, the TTL is negative, which means it expired some time ago). But,
depending on the peers internal state of the routing table, a peer may very
well route a query with -52275234 to another peer which may then even still
reply. Just the probability that this happens decreases. Thus neither the
initial TTL nor the "final" TTL can be used to expose any of the endpoints of
the transaction.

The GAP paper describes this in a bit more detail.