Re: [GNUnet-developers] how to export the public key?

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] how to export the public key?
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 17:14:06 -0500

On Friday 13 June 2003 15:14, Harald Katzer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some expirience with the freenet protocol implementation, and
> now I am very interested in GNUnet. After some time playing around
> with GNUnet, I came to the point, where I wanted to establish an P2P
> connection to a friends node only, without retrieving the initial
> hostkeys from
> http://www.ovmj.org/GNUnet/hosts/
> or the hostlist:
> http://www.ovmj.org/GNUnet/download/hostlist
>
> So I hope you can tell me, how to export the public key from the
> secret RSA key and how to generate a proper hostkey, so I can pass it
> over to other users?

Once you disable the HOSTLISTURL and delete all the keys that your peer has
accumulated in ~/.gnunet/data/hosts/, just re-start gnunetd. Then there will
be only one public key (and the address of the peer!) in
~/.gnunet/data/hosts/ -- which is your own. Copy this file to the other peers
that are going to form your "private" GNUnet. Restart the gnunetd's to make
them see the change in data/hosts/.

Hope it helps :-)

Christian
PS: Eric's GNUnet-archi tools also prompt the need for an easier way to put
GNUnet peers into a pre-defined, non-open topology for testing. So I agree
with Igor in that we should put this on the to-do list (or on Mantis).