Re: [GNUnet-developers] Namespace discovery+navigation

From: Igor Wronsky
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Namespace discovery+navigation
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:11:42 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Tom Barnes-Lawrence wrote:

> Since the namespaces thing finally got into GNUnet, I've been interested
> to actually see some reference to someone's namespace. But I never have.
> I've found a couple of directories, which was nice and interesting, but
> still no namespaces.

I've been suggesting the idea of a reference namespace (just for
show) but I can't pull it off myself as I have no reliable node to
supply it from.

Anyway, I experimented a bit with creating namespaces and
found it pretty painful. Not only did I find a bug, but in
addition, if its done like

(don't do this at home)
# gnunet-insert -b -s someone -t someid -P somepass FILE1 FILE2 FILE3

it puts the name of FILE3 as a name for the directory and doesn't
accept "-f". And then I found that gnunet-search-sblock doesn't
prune duplicates. Little things, but even without these quirks
its uncomfortable and has a somewhat high learning curve.

> My first informal-protocol proposal:

I agree with Christian that we don't so much need informal
protocols here as *good* utils and user interfaces that would
do the namespace insertions, retrievals and managing them
comfortably; such a tool could then try to force some sort of
informal standards (by e.g. default suggestions or content
structures). Personally I wouldn't enjoy doing namespace
stuff with the current utils repeatedly, unless its something
I could make a script of (like 'insert directory blah/ regularly').
gnunet-gtk could be extended to handle them, but it'd be
a reasonable amount of work to make it a proper "namespace
content manager".

And one thing that we still need is an URI convention!
Now what gnunet-insert spews, what gnunet-gtk and
gnunet-search-sblock eat, are all different. And its
pretty uncomfy sticking anything into gnunet-gtk
by copypasting, as there's two separate entry boxes. If
Christian can make up his mind about the uri standard
(I even made a parser while back) before the next
release, that'd be excellent. My own opinion is that
it suffices for the uri to contain *precisely* the
info required to download a file (including filename)
or to access a namespace entry. We don't precisely
need the extra functionalities discussed while back.

> People (who want to play nice) should insert a directory into
> their namespaces under the keyword "root", or "root-directory".
> This could also be the item that they use for a reference into
> their namespace in their adverts.

Something like that would be a nice convention imho.

Igor