Re: [GNUnet-developers] GNUnet 0.6.1 released

From: Tom Barnes-Lawrence
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] GNUnet 0.6.1 released
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 04:57:34 +0000

WOOHOO! A new version of GNUnet!

Merry Christmas, Christian et al - GNUnet is better than socks ;)

And the source really has grown quite a bit too... congrats!

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 10:22:40PM -0500, Christian Grothoff wrote:
> * gnunet-gtk can now be used to start gnunetd -- and will detect if
> gnunetd is not running.

 That's neat, hope that if that means it'd start it automatically, that
it doesn't produce any false negatives... ;)

> * The configuration file was split into a configuration for gnunetd and
> daemon related tools and another configuration for all gnunetd-clients.

 Looking in the contrib directory for the examples, I imagine some people
might find the naming of gnunet.root and gnunet.user a bit confusing. I
understand the reasoning, but personally, I think I'd rather call them
gnunet.server and gnunet.client (because I still don't run gnunetd as
root).
 Still, not important, and I expect it'd cause far *more* confusion if
the names were changed yet again.

Hmm, having just installed the new version, gnunetd --help states

(snip)
-c FILENAME, --config=FILENAME:
   load config file (defaults: ~/.gnunet/gnunet.conf)

But the example files seem to suggest that gnunet.root wants to
go to /etc/gnunet.conf and gnunet.user wants to go to
~/.gnunet/gnunet.conf, which seems contradictory, or am I mistaken?

Trying to start gnunetd without any config files anywhere, looks
like the default location is indeed /etc/gnunet.conf.
A bit annoying, but I can cope :)

Here's a thought: If gnunet-gtk tries to launch gnunetd automatically,
it will presumably just launch it as gnunetd, with no args, therefore
it'll use the default location for the config file.

If that default location is the one appropriate to running gnunetd
as root, it's hard to imagine it having settings that were appropriate
to running it as a normal user.

But gnunet-gtk won't be able to start gnunetd with root privs unless
gnunetd is SUID root, and I think many people would object to that...

Tomble
PS -Did I remember to say "NICE ONE!"?