Re: [GNUnet-developers] Miscellaneous Ideas

From: Igor Wronsky
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Miscellaneous Ideas
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 17:03:43 +0300 (EEST)

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004, Alexander Winston wrote:

> > > * Addition of eDonkey2000, Overnet, BitTorrent, DirectConnect, and
> > > FastTrack to the protocol comparison at
> > > <http://www.ovmj.org/GNUnet/faq.php3#compare>
> > I've extended the list a bit.
> Awesome! Thank you, Christian!

Supposing a p2p software is meant for sharing/downloading
content, efficiency is probably very important. Unfortunately,
you just can't figure out efficiency from that table;
i.e. summing something like +economy,-anonymity,+directness,
+multisource to get an 'efficiency estimate' just doesn't
tell you the truth, or which software you should use,
if you don't care about anonymity. So the on that account
the table is misleading.

On a gut feeling, if we gave +/- or nothing for efficiency,
I'd say it would go something like

+bittorrent
+edonkey variants
(the rest somewhere in the middle)
-gnunet
-freenet

For example, if someone is wishing to share some of their
own products with only low bandwidth available, BitTorrent
is _definitely_ the choice.

Igor