[GNUnet-developers] high disk-io

From: Christian
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] high disk-io
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 23:57:14 +0900

 I saw this was a subject allready before. Since in my case gnunetd often got
really agressive on the disk for hours i started to spread debug messages
accross the manager, routing and migration code.

There are many points which i just assume gnunet-behaviour so please correct me
if somethings wrong.
Whenever a package is about to leave the node it will be checked for padding
space (up to MTU of the transport). If that space is bigger than about 1K (i
guess less doesnt make sense) we start to pick random content to fill in that
gap. (activeMigration) This data seems to be really random and not picked up as
a linear stream or from a buffer.
According to what i see in my logfile most disk io is generated by migration
(roughly 80% i guess). Since many things are indexed here there is lots of
on-demand encoding. But i dont think this is much different to inserted content
at this point. (is it?)
Now i had gnunetd running just for a couple of minutes with the debug output
but i think it will not change much over the time.

Conditions under which gnunetd is running here:
MySQL (1024MB)
free sais 100MB cached (its a small machine)
90000 (set as up & down bandwidth in config file)

 I think there should be similar way of control be used for disk-io like for
CPU and network load. To reduce padding at first and if it is not enough to
reduce even query lookups.

  Chris