[GNUnet-developers] DHT module committed

From: J. Lindgren
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] DHT module committed
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 12:12:04 +0300 (EEST)

Hello all,

the "Distributed Hash Table (DHT) for GNUnet" project that
I announced some time back has finished and the result has
been committed to GNUnet CVS, mostly as src/applications/dht/*.
There is also a brief documentation available at
GNUnet-docs/papers/dht/ including some suggestions for
future development.

The produced implementation attempts to follow the Kademlia
paper by Maymounkov & al., and relies on RPCs (also implemented).
The code is released in the hope that some parts of it could be
useful, way or another.

The bad news is that the DHT module is currently not entirely
functional and there is no reason for non-developers to enable it.
Mainly, it currently fails in multi-node operation which is the primary
problem to be fixed to start with. I'm personally looking into it,
but as I can't give any reasonable estimate for time of completion,
I decided I might as well submit the module.

Patches, suggestions, comments, etc. are naturally welcome. There
is a mantis category dht where bugs can be reported. However,
basically the module is now just like any other piece of
GNUnet CVS and can be tweaked by any core developer at will.

Regards,
J.