Re: [GNUnet-developers] GNUnet 0.6.3a released

From: Marcos D. Marado Torres
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] GNUnet 0.6.3a released
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 03:55:56 +0100 (WEST)

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004, Christian Grothoff wrote:

On Saturday 07 Aug 2004 1:57 pm, Marcos D. Marado Torres wrote:
The question now is, should we force -O0 in configure, warn for -O2 or
just have people compile GNUnet and blame it on our code if their gcc is
buggy (with -O2 the return of a 'strdup' operation on a valid string is
garbage, at least according to gdb and the crash that happens).

Maybe we should first track down more info about the said gcc bug. Like,
does the bug occur in the same versions? (I mean, if gcc version x.y bugs
on me, will it bug on everyone else using that version of gcc?) Which gcc
versions have that bug? If the bug occurs only in gcc <= x.y.z, the
sollution os to turn gcc > x.y.z to be a dependency.

Right, but I don't have the time to play with dozens of gcc versions. I have
been using 3.2.2 from RH 9 (with patches from RH), Glenn was using some gcc
from Debian (I would suspect 3.3.x).  I'm currently in India and a bit
restricted in what systems I can quickly test things on, so if you have the
time to figure out more, please go for it (it really just requires typing
'make check' in applications/afs/esed2 to find out if the current gcc is
working or not).

First of all: Christian, you said you're using gcc 3.2.2-?-redhat (please
specify the '?'), but you didn't said if you have the optimization problem or
not.

So, the info we have is that:

(gcc 2.xx doesn't compile GNUnet, maybe we should have in the documentation,
like http://www.ovmj.org/GNUnet/download.php3 , that GNUnet requires GNU gcc
(must be GNU gcc, Aple's one, for instance, won't compile it too (seen on MacOS
efforts)) 3.x.)

- --------------------------------------
GCC VERSION             | Result
- --------------------------------------
gcc 3.2.2-5-redhat      | Problem
- --------------------------------------
gcc 3.2.3-9-debian      | Problem
- --------------------------------------
gcc 3.3.3-r5-gentoo     | Problem
- --------------------------------------
gcc 3.3.4-3-debian      | Problem
- --------------------------------------

I'm curious of the results of this test in other gcc versions, specially on gcc
3.4. If the problem occurs in 3.4, then I would say that most certainly this is
an effect of some _permanent_ change on gcc since x.y.z < 3.2.2, and possibly a
bug.
With that info and knowing at least one gcc version where the problem doesn't
happen, we have the base to move on and contact gcc people, in order to
discuss wether this is a GNUnet bug or a gcc bug (probably the latter).
Unfortunately I have no box where I can test gcc 3.4 (and gcc's older than
3.2.2) at the moment. It would be wonderfull if someone out there could test
it...
I'll test more gcc versions ASAP.

Mind Booster Noori

   Marcos Daniel Marado Torres       AKA        Mind Booster Noori
   http://student.dei.uc.pt/~marado   -   address@hidden
   () Join the ASCII ribbon campaign against html email, Microsoft
   /\ attachments and Software patents.   They endanger the World.
   Sign a petition against patents:  http://petition.eurolinux.org