Re: [GNUnet-developers] Chat System, again

From: Bram Neijt
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Chat System, again
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:31:12 +0200

Christian Grothoff wrote:

I would use / recycle the existing pseudonym construct in GNUnet: the hash of your public key is your unique pseudonym; you can choose a nickname and sign it to get a more user-friendly handle, but if two nicks conflict the public key is the ultimate unique handle. Anything else is unlikely to work in a distributed setting anyway.
I've been thinking about this messaging system to. However what I've been thinking about wouldn't be possible with the above construction.
You wouldn't be able to have multiple users per GNUnet node.

I actually hope that, and this does go far, the GNUnet system would support a kind of P2P jabber-like system. Allowing not only simple chat messages but also the ability to leave messages (like e-mail). By implementing the security, using pgp keys, in a right way we should be able to kill spam and be more secure. Also user acount may become transferrable from server to server using an account file encrypted with a user password in combination with a unique identifier and AFS.

I think a combination of jabber and pgp/email would make a nice system. However, I don't think this would be able to compete with "instant" chat, because of the latency (wich is a chalange ;-) ).

Maybe someone should just make a IP connection tunnel, allowing a local jabber server to connect with another server via the GNUnet P2P framework?

Hope to hear it when a wiki opens.

Greetings,
 Bram Neijt