Re: [GNUnet-developers] Chat System, again

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Chat System, again
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 13:22:48 -0500

On Saturday 02 October 2004 12:20, Nagy Ferenc László wrote:
> (Note that I have deleted the entire original E-mail, mostly beacuse
> I agree or have no related suggestions.)
>
> Can the existing infrastructure be used in a way where channels are the
> keywords and messages returned like file descriptions in afs? So messages
> are not pushed, but queried repeatedly.

Not as such -- you would post a message to the channel and people would see it
again and again, how would you 'expire' old messages?  Also, people not
visible to the participants of the channel could easily listen in by just
making those queries (you need some kind of re-keying to avoid / limit that
problem).  Finally, this would cause some huge amount of traffic since you
would have lots of peers constantly polling for new messages, even if nobody
sends anything to the channel.  And even if a peer was constantly polling and
was getting replies, you would have no reliability guarantees (you may still
easily miss messages in the channel).  So I don't think this would be a good
idea.