Re: [GNUnet-developers] Music insertion

From: Milan
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Music insertion
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 11:43:29 +0100

Benjamin Paul Kay a écrit :
It would work, but it seems to be a lot of trouble just to avoid using
UTF-8. Why reinvent the wheel?
I think you're right. Using UTF8 will be really easy to implement, it only needs g_locale_to_utf8() and g_utf8_to_locale(), and this is in the glib. UTF8 is the simplest and the most universal way to do this work. This will break all non iso-8859-1 keywords, but not more. Let's wait 0.7 to do this.

If an English user searches for a german file, he should know how to write german special characters. Using the Unicode charmap, for instance from GNOME, won't be so horrible if he's unable to type the character. We can't tell the user to learn specific combinations to type special characters in GNUnet, we must stay the simplest we can. UTF8 is likely to become the only character encoding, GTK+ uses it, why not to use it too ?

So, should I use the current system or should I wait for 0.7 ? When does 0.7 is waited to be done ?

--
Milan
:-:-:-:

"Libérez-vous des systèmes propriétaires... Passez à GNU/Linux"
{ www.gnu.org/home.fr.html --- www.lea-linux.org/intro/ }