[GNUnet-developers] dropping support for SQlite from GNUnet due to bug?

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] dropping support for SQlite from GNUnet due to bug? workaround?
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 00:04:00 -0700

Hi everyone!

I've just been through some rather unnerving realization, which is that the
SQlite DB binding for GNUnet has some serious issue: memory utilization. I'm
writing here just to get some feedback, hoping that someone will step up and
say "sure, no problem, do X and the problem will go away", but I am not very
optimistic at this point. Anyway, it can't hurt to ask.

I first thought it was some kind of leak, a bad way we use the API or
something.  However, that is not the case -- after stepping through the
SQlite code with GDB I think it is no leak at all, but worse: a serious, in
my opinion fatal SQlite limitation. What goes on is this.

GNUnet creates (over time), say a 1 GB database (which is not very big for us,
and considering that SQlite is supposed to only use 256 bytes per 4 MB, this
should be no problem). Then GNUnet executes a statement of the form:

SELECT * FROM gn070 WHERE condition ORDER BY criteria LIMIT 1;

Note that LIMIT 1 pretty much ensures that the result size is less than 64k of
data.  What does SQlite do?  As far as I can tell, it loads the ENTIRE
database into memory (using 1 GB+ of memory).  All of this happens during the
simple, single "sqlite3_step" call which is supposed to produce the one 64k
result row.  Not only is this killing in terms of IO performance but it is
totally unacceptable for memory consumption.

The order by and condition criteria are all on elements for which SQlite was
asked to keep an index (so a seemingly full search should never be required;
but even if that was the case, it should obviously not load the entire DB
into memory).

I ran both with SQlite 3.2.1 and 3.2.2; same result.  I also disabled the
pragma "temp_store=MEMORY", this seemed to have no effect.  This did probably
not show up in GNUnet 0.6.x because we did not execute this particular type
of query (but we need it now).

The code is at

https://gnunet.org/svn/GNUnet/src/applications/sqstore_sqlite/

including a testcase (needs the rest of GNUnet to run, though; and the
testcase only creates a relatively small DB, so the extreme memory
utilization does not show up).

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for fixing this; if there are
none, we'll have to kill SQlite support for 0.7.0 and go just with MySQL.

Happy hacking