[GNUnet-developers] Re: GNUnet: adding libnotify support for gnunet-gtk.

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] Re: GNUnet: adding libnotify support for gnunet-gtk.
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 10:27:37 -0700

Hi all!

Nicklas send me the attached patch and e-mails, and I wonder adding libnotify
support to gnunet-gtk is the right thing to do.  There are two points to
this:
a) is it really a useful feature? would you want pop-ups that tell you that a
download has finished? What if there are dozens of such notifications in a
matter of minutes? What should we notify for (just downloads? uploads? search
results!??)
b) is libnotify the right way to do it?  or maybe the extra dependency is not
worth it?  make it an optional feature if libnotify is present (complicating
configure and build and source code)? are there other ways to do it (I mean,
we can certainly open pop-up windows using GTK directly) -- so what is the
distinct advantage of doing notifications with libnotify in this context?

Let me know what you think.  I've attached Nicklas' patch.

Christian

On Sunday 02 April 2006 07:17, Nicklas Larsson wrote:
> Christian Grothoff wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Can you give me first some idea as to why we should add libnotify?
> > What's the advantage?
>
> (you are right, i should have explained what libnotify is, my bad ;))
>
> It is in my eyes purely "extra", to build a dependency around libnotify
> isn't my intention or wish at all, I've been playing around with
> gnunet-gtk alot this last week and noticed that something was "missing".
> Giving me some sort of notification when a download or insert is done
> when gnunet-gtk isn't visible on the screen.
> (infoMessage's doPopup is a similar idea i guess, and libnotify maybe is
> overkill)
>
> This image shows what happens when gnunet-gtk is minimized and a
> download finishes.
>
> http://hem.bredband.net/b400150/GNUnet/gnunet-gtk-libnotify.png
>

> i just scratched my itch and you are welcome to my solution/hack :)
> (this is one thing that I love about GPL'ed software)
>
> libnotify is a part of the Galago Project(http://www.galago-project.org/).
>
> > I'm currently travelling so I won't be able to look at the patch
> > for another week or so.
>
> You really need to look at it if you like the idea, so just put it in
> the "to look at" pile :)
> (depending on how one wish to implement it, some restructure is probably
> needed)
>
> Happy Vacation
>
> /Nicklas Larsson

Hi again.

Soo, adding libnotify support to gnunet-gtk :)

Im guessing its not so cleanly done(depending on how you wish to
structure it, but ill leave that up to the GNUnet developers ;)), but
its rather small so you shouldn't have any trouble deciding if it should
go in SVN or not)

Im unsure about the configure-ac.diff, if it is the "right thing(TM)"
(it works here with and without libnotify)
would be nice to be able to disable it altogether.
(i can't find a good autotool tutorial online)

the small diffs are included in the attached
file(three-diffs-libnotify.tar.gz).

anyways, im of to bed, good night.

/Nicklas Larsson