Re: [GNUnet-developers] p2p 'massively multi-player games (MMGs)'

From: Marcos Marado
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] p2p 'massively multi-player games (MMGs)'
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:42:25 +0000

Hi there,

On Friday 16 March 2007 22:28, donnar wrote:
> Okay, a little bit more research led me to the 'Croquet
> project' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croquet_project).
>
> Quote: 'Croquet is a powerful new open source software development
> environment for creating and deploying deeply collaborative multi-user
> online
> applications on multiple operating systems and devices. Derived from
> Squeak, it features a peer-based network architecture that supports
> communication, collaboration, resource sharing, and synchronous computation
> between multiple users on multiple devices.'

Yup, Croquet is quite nice. You can easily find some videos (worthy for a lot
of words) on Google Video - just search for Croquet Project. It's interesting
that you refer it now - I just read this a couple of days ago:
http://www.raphkoster.com/2007/03/15/qwaq-commercializing-opencroquet/

I wonder that it does everything you want it to, 'tho...

> > > I'm currently evaluating the possibility of using p2p networks for the
> > > use in
> > > 'massively multi-player games (MMGs)'.

Well, it depends on how you want to build it. If you're to consider a MUD, for
instance, a kind of MMO (and ponder on putting all the graphic stuff you want
client-side), then GNUnet can be, in my opinion, suitable for it. I wrote
something on that here:

http://mindboosternoori.blogspot.com/2006/09/gnunet-chat-next-generation-talker.html
http://mindboosternoori.blogspot.com/2007/03/why-virtual-worlds-shouldnt-be.html

Feel free to comment, this is an issue I would be glad to discuss...
--
Marcos Marado
Sonaecom IT