Re: [GNUnet-developers] Various gnunet-gtk issues

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Various gnunet-gtk issues
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 10:10:08 -0600

On Monday 09 June 2008 05:52:43 am Milan Bouchet-Valat wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I changed once again the layout of the treeview for search results:
> - now it looks like Nautilus and the GtkFileChooser: we gain in
> consistency, eye-candy, and a little space is freed; the hierarchy
> directory/children is much more clear now
> - status logos are nicer and free a lot of space, allowing to see the
> meta-data

If they are understood -- maybe we should add tooltips here?

> Question: was does GNUNET_URITRACK_DIRECTORY_ADDED means? I've chosen a
> '+' icon (GTK_STOCK_ADD) for this status, but I did not really
> understand it...

It means that the file was published as part of a directory.  Using the same
icon (Add) as for normal publications is probably fine.

Also,

http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/2.11/GtkIconTheme.html#gtk-icon-theme-load-icon

says that we need to unref the icon after use.  Since you do not do that (and
since you're re-loading them each time they are needed) the reference counts
will go crazy on those.  I think we should add a local cache for those
pixbufs.

> Now there's a problem: we cannot sort files by type. The previous 'Type'
> column with icons was not good either, because icons regroup many
> different MIME types, which would have been separated without
> explanation when sorting.

I didn't see this as a problem.  Not being able to sort by mime type at all,
that's more of a problem IMO.

> I wonder whether we should add a column with
> the type description after the meta-data one: icons don't tell what
> precise format is the file (could be solved with a tooltip, though), and
> putting it before meta-data would partially hide them. This would allow
> sorting by type when required (no so common case, maybe). What do you
> think?

I think a tooltip would be nice (instead of wasting space with the mime text).
However, I do know that tooltips are notoriously awkward with GtkTreeViews
(may have improved in recent GTK+ versions, but I don't think we can rely on
having those).  So good luck implementing them...

> Apart from that, I've been thinking for a while of removing the 'Search
> Overview' list from 'Activity' so that more space is available for,
> esp., downloads. The overview is already available with the tabs in
> 'Search and download', anyway. With this change, 'Search and download'
> could be set as the first tab, thus the default in FS (since it is the
> first step and most useful one). Comments?

Makes sense to me.

> Also, I've noticed a strange behavior of the 'Stop' download button.
> Contrary to the 'Delete' one, it does not update the search views, and
> the "cancelled" status is not set. This is quite inconsistent.

I think I've fixed this, but I cannot test it (see comment on your r7104
below).

> And last but not least: when do you plan to release 0.8? It could be
> nice for me to avoid committing buggy code just when you try to
> stabilize all this stuff. This will be a great release!

The answer has already been posted: https://gnunet.org/drupal/node/320
So yes, it is time to fix stuff, not break stuff ;-).

Also, your r7104 breaks stuff -- you cannot just rename handlers like that,
they are referenced in the glade file  (and now clear/stop no longer
work!!!). Looks like this may have been an incomplete commit -- please fix...