Re: [GNUnet-developers] Propose new feature - Search Indexer WebService

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Propose new feature - Search Indexer WebService for GNUnet
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2012 23:21:39 +0100

On 11/07/2012 11:10 PM, LRN wrote:
> > On 08.11.2012 0:48, SMoratinos wrote:
> > You'll have to wait until Grothoff can clarify how
> > censorship-resistant namespaces are.

I think once we implement
https://gnunet.org/bugs/view.php?id=2564
namespace search will be at least as censorship-resistant as the current
keyword-based search.  The real issue is (as you mention) how to
communicate with the namespace owner to get him to update his index.
That ought to be rather tricky --- right now, one could publish
something under a publicly-known keyword encrypted only for the owner,
but that seems somewhat unreliable / inefficient.  More importantly,
there is no software support for this --- not for encrypting a message
to a namespace owner, not for decrypting it, not for really maintaining
a large namespace with any decent convenience (LRN: gnunet-fs-gtk has an
open bug for you there...).

Aside from this, I should mention to SMoratinos that gnunet-java ---
while having a pretty complete set of GNUnet APIs --- lacks support for
the file-sharing API itself AND we have no plans to fix that at this
point (the API itself is just a bit too complex for the envisioned scope
of gnunet-java).  So while you can do encrypted P2P communication,
multicast, DHT, statistics, etc using gnunet-java, accessing our
file-sharing functions is still limited to C code. I'm just pointing
this out as it might seriously limit your ability to realize your vision.

Happy hacking!