Re: [GNUnet-developers] Gnunet Web UI

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Gnunet Web UI
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 21:12:59 +0100

On 11/22/2012 08:32 PM, SMoratinos wrote:
Hello,

I'm creating a new User Interface for my Gnunet server, a web user interface.

My Gnunet Node is running on a linux server with no X-server.
So a webUI is more user friendly than the shell command.

Right now, it's for my needs, but maybe are you interested in a webui ?
Before publishing something, I wanted your opinion.

I personally think browsers are a security nightmare, but I also realize that most users will be happy with a browser-based UI, so personally I'm ambivalent...

Now, given that there is broadway, a Gtk+ backend which can automatically create a web-frontend for any Gtk+ application, I was always thinking that *if* we did something like this, we should base it on broadway. That way, hopefully a lot of the existing C logic could be kept. Now, we would still likely need some of the features you describe (login/authentication, ways to run the various Gtk-frontends from some kind of web-shell, not to mention that the files downloaded via gnunet-fs-gtk in broadway would end up on the server, which then may require a way to download them from the server via HTTP). So getting all of this to work well would still be tough, but at least all of the work that we have put (and will still put) into Gtk-based GUIs would immediately _also_ have a positive impact on the web-frontend...

Here is a link introducing broadway:
http://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/2011/03/15/gtk-html-backend-update/
This is some expected features :

* Web User Interface :
    - Standard client technologies HTML5 + CSS3 + Javascript.
- Responsive web design, from desktop computer monitors to mobile phones

* Server Logic :
    - Java language

* Multi-User :
    - Access control, authorization, authentification

Please have someone who knows about this look over that logic before declaring your code 'stable'...

* Control Gnunet (via shell command) :
    - start stop arm and other service

* Read statistics (via gnunet-java) :
    - graphic, real time (websocket)

* File-Sharing (via shell because gnunet-java don't have fs) :
    - search, download, publish

* Administration :
    - modify configuration files

* External API :
    - REST, JSON + XML

* MultiPlatform/ MultiLanguage :
    - all platform, datastore, languages than Gnunet support,
       but at the beginning at least debian/postgresql/english.

I would share my project via Github on the beginning
 (because it's easy for me), but later I can change, naturally.

I planned to share my project (licence GPL like Gnunet),
 can I use the name GnunetWebUI ?

Please make sure to use GPLv3+ for the license.  You may also choose to use
Affero GPLv3+ -- http://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.html -- that might be even more appropriate (and I consider this a GPLv3-compatible use as per section 13 of both licenses). As for the name, I have no objections.

What do you think about this project ?

The idea has been mentioned before, but nobody has so far produced a version that was working, and it is hard to judge the project by the feature list ;-). So please go ahead, produce some working code (& documentation!), and then I think it will make sense to comment on the project...

Happy hacking!