[GNUnet-developers] GNUnet @ Google Summer of Code

From: Bart Polot
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] GNUnet @ Google Summer of Code
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 15:48:04 +0200

Hi all GNUnet hackers!

Are you a student in any recognized university and are you interested in hacking on GNUnet and have Google pay you for it? Now it's possible! GNUnet is participating in the Google Summer of Code[1] under the GNU umbrella[2].

The Google Summer of Code gives you the opportunity to work on a GNUnet-related *coding* project with one of the GNUnet developers as your mentor. The current ideas page is up [3] but feel free to suggest your own ideas!

Your mentor will guide you with your project and in becoming part of the GNUnet community. Google pays you 5,000 USD for the three months of your project, so that you can focus on coding as a full time job. "Flip bits, not burgers", as they say.

Did we catch your attention? These are your next steps:

- Go look at the Google Summer of Code FAQ [4] to make sure you are eligible to participate (basically, currently studiyng at any university outside of the US-defined Axis of Evil). Important: if you are currenly working on GNUnet you STILL qualify to continue working on Google's bucks!

- Have a look at our ideas list [3] to see if one of those projects matches your interests.

- If there is no project on that list that you'd want to work on, read the documentation on our website [5] or our bug-tracker [6] (see various feature requests) and make up your own project idea!

- Come to #gnunet on Freenode or send an email to any mentor from the GNUnet ideas page and let us know about your project idea. Communication is essential to success in the summer of code, and we're unlikely to accept students we haven't heard from before reading their application. So really, come talk to us first!

Finally, write down your project idea and submit your application to Google until May 3, 2013 [7].

We are looking forward to discussing your project idea with you!

[1]https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2013

[2]https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2013/gnu

[3] https://gnunet.org/gsoc2013

[4] https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2013/help_page