[GNUnet-developers] FPS paper & browser study

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] FPS paper & browser study
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 19:16:51 +0200

Hello,

Congratulations on the nice FPS paper!

Section 4.5 states:

  Based on a limited and most likely biased survey where users volun-
  teered the output of a simple shell script that inspected their browsers
  history database, we determined that given current Internet behavior,
  approximately 8% of domain names would require introduction via some
  out-of-band exchange.

I think many users would just type (say) “gnunet” in the address/search
bar of their browser (rather than “http://gnunet.org”), which leads them
to a Google search result page.

In that case, ‘gnunet.org’ is counted as not needing an out-of-band
introduction, I suppose.  However, that does not capture the fact that
Google is an undesirable way to get introduced to a web site from a
censorship-resistance viewpoint.

Does your study account for such uses somehow?  What impact would it
have on the 8% figures?

Thanks,
Ludo’.