Re: [GNUnet-developers] W32 console woes

From: Nils Durner
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] W32 console woes
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 18:31:14 +0100

> >> I have found no way to wait (and thus select) on a console
> >> handle.

I haven't actually tried it, but the documentation for
WaitForMultipleObjects() explicitely specifies "Console input" as a
supported handle type (maybe obtained by GetStdHandle()?).

> >> Thus it will have to be done with a thread.

Other idea: reimplement the console (like Turbo Pascal for Windows did)
and add MsgWaitForMultipleObjectsEx() to plibc's select().

> > OR we could do our usual trick and fork another helper process to
> > interact with the console ;-).
>
> That might work, as it turns console I/O into socket or pipe I/O (both
> of which are supported), from the point of view of the application.

(Probably) phrased differently: do the actual work in a background
process and have a really lean, telnet(.exe) like, console UI. A proper
Windows implementation would be easy to do then.

> >> Which leads me to the question: do we really need interactive console
> >> on Windows?

Without knowing anything about the background subject, I'd say: no.
Either have a real graphical UI or forget about it.

Regards,

Nils