Re: [GNUnet-developers] [GSoC] GNUnet binary distribution system

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] [GSoC] GNUnet binary distribution system
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 09:42:15 +0100

On 03/11/2014 12:19 AM, Pierre-Antoine Rault wrote:
>> The initial discussion [0] left open the question of where
>> binaries themselves should be stored.  A possibility would be to
>> use GNUnet’s DHT simply as a discovery mechanism, and then to
>> establish a connection directly to the user’s machine, which would
>> run, say, an HTTP server.
>
> That's what I had in mind. Now, considered the post [2] by Christian
> Grothoff, we might consider using either an HTTP server for
> performance or GNUnet's MESH for anonymity (and security). We should
> balance needs and ease of implementation.

Just to clarify here, I never said MESH would give you anonymity.
I only said it should give you better NAT traversal and better
authenticity and confidentiality than TLS/HTTPS (largely because you
avoid the CA mess).  Good anonymity will require more than MESH, and for
Guix I am not sure that having anonymity is necessary (it might of
course be fine to have that as an option in the future).