Re: [GNUnet-developers] Communication

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Communication
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 10:47:24 +0100

On 01/16/2015 10:16 AM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Bart Polot <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> I agreed, we should start dog-fooding as soon as it's ready: use
>> gnunet-conversation + multicast (!) instead of mumble.
>
> Dog-fooding means precisely that you don’t wait until it’s “ready”.  ;-)

Well, but I think it doesn't quite mean you try to have a group
conversation over a 1:1 channel ;-).  My definition of 'ready' just
means that there is at least code for it ;-).

> I’ve had my share of dog food with Guix, and I think it’s very valuable.
> It would be nice to host source code releases, documents, etc. on
> GNUnet’s AFS or something like that, and possibly have a Web gateway
> just to show people what it’s like (I remember Zooko hosted his blog on
> Tahoe long ago.)

That's not dog-fooding, as we obviously don't download the GNUnet TGZ
very much. Just posting GNUnet code or documents on GNUnet doesn't make
*us* use it, it just forces others that want to learn about the system
to use it first.

And for source code *development*, we need version control, and that is
again simply not existing in AFS.

Anyway, I do think using gnunet-conversation instead of the phone as
soon as possible (for 1:1 conversations among developers) would be good.