Re: [GNUnet-developers] Kernel Patch for raising plan transport plugin s

From: David Brodski
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Kernel Patch for raising plan transport plugin speed
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 14:02:53 +0000

Hi Christian and Florian,

I did not try to patch the kernel since it would not have solve a lot of other issues.
I think that they had driver problems and nobody needed faster speeds for penetration testing, but I can not find my source anymore. One problem was at least that the radiotap format had only one byte for the speed and the unit was 500Kbps so max speed would have been 128Mbits (see http://www.radiotap.org/defined-fields/Rate).
I saw that they added new fields since I last looked at it but it does not seem to change anything.
Anyways patching the kernel would not have solved that the program then needed a method to calculate the best data rate, basically reimplement big parts of the AP infrastructure of the kernel.
A better solution then probably would have been to create a new operating mode as a kernel module, so that all the information from the hardware (signal strength, ...) could be attained. This would have to be implemented for all the wlan driver and would have used a lot of time. So not a good solution either.

A week ago I tried out Wifi direct on an linux openWrt platform (carambola2). That could be a better solution, we probably have to reimplement some parts of wpa_supplicant to get rid of the wpa autentication (or use a generic gnunet network name and password or auto accept incoming wpa-push requests. That would have the benefit of bing compatible with the standard). Benifit would be that wifi-direct already supports being in an AP network at the same time and is supported in a lot of wlan drivers (my samsung galaxy s3 works can do it without patch in the wps-push method). It is not perfect but faster :-)

Regards,
David

P.s. the first mail was probably not send to the list ;-)