Re: [GNUnet-developers] packaging GNUnet for OpenWrt

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] packaging GNUnet for OpenWrt
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2015 07:46:51 +0200

I've thought about this, and I think this would be a nightmare to
maintain -- dependencies change, binaries would move between different
sub-packages for consistency as the system grows, and it would be extra
work to always check that everything is still sound.

A much easier method would be the following: truly atomize the
packaging.  For all subssytems, put all binaries and libraries and the
config file of that subsystem in a package for that subsystem.
Furthermore, package each plugin individually. Then, use 'ldd' on the
libs and binaries to determine the dependencies (you can automate that
to get them right and -- most importantly -- keep those right).

You'll end up with ~80 packages, but the specifications can be largely
generated automatically (i.e. by parsing Makefile.am in each subsystem)
and the user can then install literally arbitrary combinations of
"high-level" packages and get always *exactly* what he needs --- and we
don't have to be creative in imagining which combinations are 'useful'
and which are not.

My 2 cents

Christian