Re: [GNUnet-developers] Why old-school C?

From: Nils Durner
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Why old-school C?
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2015 00:07:03 +0200

Hi,

>> This is a side note, but to get GNUnet to work on non-jailbroken
>> iOS--which some people probably don't care about but I think is going
>> to be necessary [...]

I think that's not the only necessity to bring GNUnet to the masses.
Having to upload a self-built binary to an iDevice from a Mac (or even
do it the uber-geeky libre way) is not going to cut it - GNUnet would
have to be available on the Appstore. But that's not possible due to
licensing conflicts. The technical challenge of threads vs. processes is
the smallest issue here.

> Sounds painful. iOS users should jailbreak their devices (i.e. by
> installing a libre OS). Without that, they don't get reasonable security
> or privacy or liberty.

I have yet to see how any libre OS is more secure than iOS, especially
if jailbreaking is involved. Privacy (through running GNUnet at all) and
Liberty (to run GNUnet on whatever device) are equally being taken away
by adoption of the GPL for GNUnet as through Apple's restrictions
disallowing GPL'ed software on the Appstore. For me as a user, true
Liberty is the liberty to voluntarily compromise the same.

As I don't have much resources to even contribute to a truly liberal
clone of GNUnet, my hopes are on better Tor integration with iOS 9 - and
GNUnet concepts being implemented on this platform for more general
availability.

Best regards,

Nils