[GNUnet-developers] NTRU

From: Jeff Burdges
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] NTRU
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 16:39:18 +0200

Are there any opinions on using NTRU in GNUNet's CADET layer?  We'd only
use it in addition to curve25519, never replacing curve25519.

Aside from cryptographic concerns few here are likely to be able to
comment on, there is an important political concern around patents :

NTRU is patented by a company called Security Innovation.  The
implementation itself is GPL :
https://github.com/NTRUOpenSourceProject/ntru-crypto/blob/master/LICENSE.md
And they're pretty friends with other open sources licenses :
https://github.com/NTRUOpenSourceProject/ntru-crypto/blob/master/FOSS%20Exception.md

All fine, but NTRU might limit anyone else's ability to write non-GPL
code that interacted with CADET.  I'm not bothered, but maybe an issue.

Jeff

p.s.  DJB has suggested improvements that he called NTRU', but afaik
nobody worked on them.  I donno if the patent has limited research in
the area or not.