Re: [GNUnet-developers] key exchanges [updated, resend]

From: Jeff Burdges
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] key exchanges [updated, resend]
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 13:24:22 +0200

Appears there is a much easier way to do all this.

Idea 2 below effectively modifies ECDSA to sign a mathematical
relationship between two numbers, as opposed to signing the number
directly.  It's slightly opaque what that mathematical relationship is,
but one must still take great care that the numbers are random and not
themselves signed.

I now think this care with randomness alone suffices and one does not
need to modify ECDSA at all.

Key exchange algorithm :

Trip 1.  Alice generates a blinding values x_A,y_A and an ephemeral key
pair (a',A').  Alice connects to Bob and sends (B', hash(x_A) ).

Trip 2.  Bob generates a blinding values x_B,y_B and an ephemeral key
pair (b',B').  Let s_2' = a' B' = b' A' denote the ephemeral DH secret.
Let s_2 = hash(K ++ s_2') where K is a protocol specific value.  Alice
connects to Bob and sends (B', nonce, e) where e = encrypt(s_2,nonce,
m_2) where m_2 = (x_B hash(y_B)).

Alice and Bob now share the ephemeral DH secret s_2' and s_2.  Alice
therefore extracts x_B = decrypt(s_2, nonce, e).  If decryption fails,
then Alice drops the connection, probably not the right protocol.

Trip 3.  Let (a,A) and (b,B) denote Alice and Bob's longer term key
pairs.  Let s_3' = a' B = b A' be a partially ephemeral DH secret.  Set
s_3 = has(s_3' ++ s_2).  Also let x = x_A xor x_B denote this random
number collaboratively generated by Alice and Bob.  Alice sends (nonce,
encrypt(s_3, nonce, m_3 ) ) where
        m_3 = (x_A, y_A, A, sign(a, x xor m')) )
        m' = hash(K ++ A ++ B ++ hash(s_2)
Bob decrypts m_3 and verifies hash(x_A) from the first message and
Alice's signature.  If decryption or verification fails, then Bob drops
the connection.

We sent hash(x_A) in the clear, but x_A and x_B traveled over the wire
encrypted, so our adversary cannot know them without breaking one side
of the key exchange.  We claim the following properties :
- Alice's signature is deniable in that Bob could claim any x_B he likes
to sign any message he likes retrospectively.
- Alice cannot manipulate x_A to be using a forged signature because she
committed to her choice of x_A in Trip 1.

Trip 4.  Let s_4' = b' A = a B' be a partially ephemeral DH secret.  Set
s_4 = has(s_4' ++ s_3).  Also let y = y_A xor y_B.  Bob sends (nonce,
encrypt(s, nonce, m_4 ) where
        m_4 = (y_B, sign(b, y xor m'), ...)

As y has similar properties to x, we claim analogous properties for
Bob's signature as we did for Alice's signature in Trip 3.  I donno if
we really need a fully separate y value here, but :
- If we omit Bob's signature all together, then Alice is vulnerable to
the wildcard attack if her private key is compromised.
- If we use x in constructing Bob's signature, then Alice early
commitment might be problematic.  I'll need to think about y further.

I'll write this up in latex once I've figured out the y business and
chatted with Christian further.