Re: [GNUnet-developers] copyright assignment

From: LRN
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] copyright assignment
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 15:34:48 +0300

On 23.12.2015 15:10, Christian Grothoff wrote:
> On 12/23/2015 11:52 AM, LRN wrote:
>> On 23.12.2015 12:09, Christian Grothoff wrote:
>>> I would like to ask all contributors/developers to assign their
>>> copyright on GNUnet code to "GNUnet e.V." (https://gnunet.org/ev)
>>>
>>> The reason is that situations continue to pop up where the ability to
>>> dual-license some code would be helpful for the project (similar to how
>>> we added GPL+eCos to GNU libmicrohttpd in the past).  If we had the
>>> copyright with GNUnet e.V., then at least we had a relatively small
>>> group (the annually elected "Vorstand") representing the developers in a
>>> position of making decisions about dual-licensing.
>>>

>> I will sign away my copyright to anything i've contributed to GNUnet (and,
>> if you want, GNUnet-gtk and Extractor; by the way, what's the status of MHD
>> in this regard? Though my contributions to MHD are very minor, so it
>> shouldn't matter), on the condition that my contributions are dual-licensed
>> under GPLv2+ (or GPLv3+, or v4+, or whatever) and LGPLv2.1+ (and i'll bump
>> v2.1+ to v3+ or even higher as needed). The reason for this is that i've
>> tinkered with the utility code (mostly its W32 side) a lot and i would
>> really like to be able to re-use it elsewhere, as an LGPL library or in a
>> project that is LGPL-licensed (in glib and GTK+, for example).
>
> Ok, I guess I should clarify: I'm not asking you to exclusively assign
> rights to GNUnet e.V., we merely need that GNUnet e.V. has 'shared'
> ownership and thus the right to add additional licenses if necessary
> (obviously there is no plan to abandon GPLv3+).  So you currently have
> and would preserve the right to dual-license your contributions.

I'm still not sure how this stands legally (IANAL, by the way) - is there
such thing as a "shared right to re-license"? I assume you've had some
legal advice in this regard.
And given that (as far as you've told us) this is not the usual copyright
assignment (as practiced by, say, FSF), how does it relate to other
copyright-assignment-ish things? Such as copyright enforcement (can "GNUnet
e.V." go after copyright infringers? Does it intend to?).

But if what you describing is correct, then i'm OK with that kind of
assignment.

--
O< ascii ribbon - stop html email! - www.asciiribbon.org