Re: [GNUnet-developers] GSoC

From: Daniel Golle
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] GSoC
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 16:48:10 +0200

Hi carlo!

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 12:53:42PM +0100, carlo von lynX wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 01:04:01PM +0200, Daniel Golle wrote:
> > Why are you specifying it to HTTP-based at all?
>
> Are all browsers able to use localhost bus solutions and sockets?
>
> > I believe a *re-usable* JSON-RPC, which could either be accessed via
> > HTTP but just as well using a local socket or existing message-passing
> > systems like ubus, dbus, ... would be better and avoid duplicate work.
>
> Great. We already have an extensive jspsyc library that we used in
> the psyczilla add-on for mozilla. It uses native sockets.

That's the kinda stuff I was thinking of. JSON is useful beyond HTTP.

> > Generally sounds great, but as PSYC is real-time only, what if the
>
> Huh! Where did you read that? Would I suggest to use PSYC as a mail
> system if this was true?

I suppose not ;) And that made me wonder...

> > node on the other side is currently offline? Eg. I generally like
> > to have everything turned-off while I'm sleeping, safe energy and
> > bandwidth in hours where it obviously can only harm (ie. disturb
> > my sleep with blinkenlights or harddrive noises). However, people
> > do send emails to me while I'm sleeping and I do appreciate to
> > receive them (once I'm awake). Correct me if I'm missing something, but
> > to me it seems as this cannot be achieved with PSYC, right?
>
> The question is answered on http://secushare.org/architecture
> The answer is, yes. PSYC can.

Maybe I just remember it worngly, but the last time I touched PSYC,
messages were either delivered right away or lost. Logging-in after
a connection failure would not show me the history of messages I had
missed, but rather just what ever happened from then on.

Anyway, thank you for clarifying that, it sounds even better now :)

Cheers

Daniel