Re: [GNUnet-developers] Reverse resolution of VPN/GNS

From: carlo von lynX
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Reverse resolution of VPN/GNS
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2016 21:03:50 +0100

> Definitively not. Neither the psycstore nor the existing
> namestore/namecache have the operation needed for what Martin is
> thinking about on the blog.  However, the operation *you* are thinking
> about would be local.

Yes, doing it locally is the proper way to do it and
requiring people to expose themselves in apublic web
of trust graph is not good solution to the problem.

> Yes, but some relationships are simply public. Why not exploit that? We
> are not proposing that the entire graph be public, but that the user can
> choose (non-public being the default, of course).

No we must absolutely not follow such a path. This
creates a social urge to also expose oneself. The
same urge that gets people on Twitter or Facebook.
We started this whole project to avoid any choices
that generate a race to the bottom of privacy.

Show me a use case we can't solve in a sociologically
sound way.

> > 3. To make GNS work with existing applications I simply asked to
> > teach gnunet-exit to return the same names that were used by
> > gnunet-vpn to build those tunnels in the first place. The rest of the
> > challenge is then dealt by secushare's pubsub structures.
>
> Yes, I understood your point. Martin wants to do something much larger,

Much larger than secushare? You must be kidding real hard.  ;))
So what is the larger than secushare use case here?

> which on top of that likely does NOT even address your goal.  So these

I think it tries to solve a problem which socially makes no sense.
We shouldn't try to address such a goal, it's the wrong way.

> are simply not the same, even though both fall into the category of
> "reverse" resolution/lookup.

Not even that.

> On my system, the CADET test suite still fails, so I'm not too
> optimistic :-(.

Sigh.

Over a year ago I announced we would be delivering apps
using the social API really soon. We have apps now, but
no API.

--
  E-mail is public! Talk to me in private using encryption:
         http://loupsycedyglgamf.onion/LynX/