[GNUnet-developers] GNUnet copyright collections

From: Sree Harsha Totakura
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] GNUnet copyright collections
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 11:59:29 +0100

Dear Developers,

Some of you may have known that we have formed the GNUnet e.V. club (the
'e.V' stands for 'eingetragene Verein' meaning registered association)
sometime ago for supporting GNUnet's development.  More information
about the club is available here: https://gnunet.org/ev/

The club has recently decided to collect copyrights on code contributed
by you to GNUnet and/or its dependencies now or in the past.  This
effort helps the club to centralize the copyrights and then be able to
license GNUnet to be able to fund future development of GNUnet and
similar efforts taken up by the club.

For more information and discussion about the club's plans please join
the club's annual meeting at the 33c3 congress:
https://events.ccc.de/congress/2016/wiki/Session:GNUNet_e.V._meeting
Previous registration for the meeting may be necessary.

What I do ask from you in case you are planning to attend the congress
and can join the meeting or meet Grothoff at some point, is to *print a
copy of the attached copyright assignment and bring it with you* if you
intend to sign it.

To summarize, the copyright assignment says that you are willing to
assign GNUnet e.V. the rights to use your contributions and you are
indeed the one who contributed your contribution. It also assures that
GNUnet e.V will keep the development of GNUnet remains free and open for
all.

In future, we may ask developers to sign the copyright with GPG
signatures, but for now, we are collecting them on paper.

Regards,
Sree