Re: [GNUnet-developers] a solution for integrated package definitions; g

From: ng0
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] a solution for integrated package definitions; gnurl and the copyrights
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2017 00:00:02 +0000

Christian Grothoff <address@hidden> writes:

> I do not see the copyright assignment apply to gnurl in any way, it
> would not help anyway as (1) it is questionable that our changes to curl
> are even copyrightable, and (2) the copyrights clearly are with the curl
> devs, so we would not succeed at centralizing anyway.  Finally, the
> issues pEp/Taler has are primarily with strong copyleft code (*), and
> curl/gnurl are weak copyleft.  Hence, we also have no _need_ for this
> for curl/gnurl anyway, as far as I can see.

For 1 and 2 I agree. I wasn't sure about the relation and exact
reasons, which is why I asked to make sure someone didn't miss
something. Thank you for answering this part of my message.

By the way as a general note regarding gnurl (gnURL ?), if this
bug is fixed before the next release (of cURL), I can use "make
dist" again:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-guix/2016-12/msg00218.html
(quoting)

 “ltmain.sh” is instantiated from a template by libtool.  It originally
 contains a /bin/sh shebang, and I think it should not be patched when
 installed to

     /gnu/store/…-libtool-2.4.6/share/libtool/build-aux/ltmain.sh

 This seems like a bug to me.

Definitely:

$ head -1 $(find $(guix build libtool) -name ltmain.sh)
#!/gnu/store/qkw4zrwfybxww8f56nkb6hggxambk89b-bash-4.4.0/bin/sh