[GNUnet-developers] social

From: Jeff Burdges
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] social
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 20:10:41 +0200

Fluffy message incoming, feel free to ignore.  :)

I'll post this since some GNUNet folks here are interested in "social"
applications :
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/06/the-app-that-does-nothing/529764/?utm_source=fbb

I donno if that article should be taken too seriously, but it suggest
the many major "social" sites should be viewed more as video games, and
less as actual communications tools.

There are definitely important compromises to make for usability, but
this suggests that one should take inspiration from applications like
pads or more purposeful sites like GitHub, or even StackExchange and
Wikipedia, as opposed to Twitter or Facebook.

I've heard similar sentiments from various people, normally expressed
more like "I want to build something useful, not just a privacy
preserving facebook".  This silly android app and the ideas behind it
looked like an interesting argument for this position.

Jeff